Leading & Defending
With Compassion

Answers To Your Frequently Asked Questions About Workers’ Compensation

Being injured on the job can leave you with many questions. If you or a loved one find yourself in this position, Miller & Caggiano, LLP, can help. We have worked with clients throughout New York for over 20 years. Our goal is to seek the maximum compensation for your claim. We will not back down from a challenge and will do everything we can to represent your best interests. For your reference, there is a list of frequently asked questions below.

When Seeking Medical Care, Do I Get To Choose My Own Doctor?

It all depends on your specific workers’ compensation case. However, your company may require you to see a specific doctor based on their insurance coverage. You then would be required to do so in order to get benefits.

Can I Be Fired For Filing For Workers’ Compensation?

No. Companies can be held legally responsible if they discriminate or terminate anyone while they are disabled. That being said, there is one exception. If it becomes clear that you will not be able to return to your old position for medical reasons, it may be best that you do not return. If your position is a necessity, they also may hire a temporary worker in order to cover your workload until you can come back.

What Are Common Examples Of Workplace Injuries?

We have handled cases of all shapes and sizes. We’ve seen everything from burns to lung problems and broken bones. Back injuries and sprains are also common. No matter what you are facing, we are here to be your strongest advocate.

How Long Do I Have To File A Claim?

It is best to act sooner rather than later. You must report your accident within 30 days. However, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a claim. If medical bills or temporary disability benefits were paid, then you have two years from the last date of that payment. You may also need to claim Social Security Disability benefits, which we can help you with.

Do You Still Have Questions?

After reading through these questions and answers, you may still have questions regarding your specific situation. Please call 631-821-7700 to schedule a free initial consultation today. We have offices in Bohemia and Carle Place and serve clients throughout Suffolk County and Nassau County. You can also contact us online.